Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Let's try some FREE photo-editing websites


We have used Photoshop Elements to manipulate pictures. The pictures have been transformed using various tools to paint, colorize, distort and even clone images. Most of us do not have this program at home. However, thanks to Web 2.0, there are many new websites that allows us to interact with them. We will look at two of them: Photoshop Express and Picnik.

Photoshop Express is free and somewhat easy to use. It requires that you set up an account, with an email address, to use the full functions of the website. However, it is possible to use the “test drive” option, which does not require that you register. The main difference between the two is that you will not be able to save your pictures back to you computer after you modify them with the test drive version. If you have an email, you may register otherwise take the test drive.
Let’s take a test drive at: https://www.photoshop.com/express/landing.html
They have a very good tutorial at: http://www.photoshoponline.com/

Picnik is free and you do not need to register to use it. (However, they do charge for an upgraded version, which allows you to save pictures that you have manipulated with some of the advanced functions.) Let’s try it now: http://www.picnik.com/

Save at least one image that you modified using the above websites. Write a comment describing how easy or difficult it was to use these websites. Also include some of the features that you used and how your pictures changed with them. Your comment should be at least a paragraph using grade 8 grammar, organization and content.

first names only please!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

photoshop is much easeier then picnic

Anonymous said...

As trying these two programs i have found that they are very similar to Adobe photoshop, although i could not get the whole feel for Express unless being registered. Using picknik before i have realized that it is also very very similar to photoshop. They are both somewhat easy to use once getting used to the website.

Anonymous said...

Ater using https://www.photoshop.com/express/landing.htr I think of it as a good website. I like the ways they change the image and how they had distorted the truck. So i think of photoshop online as a good website. I also like how they had made three different kind of pictures and they used the website to change it around.

Anonymous said...

I do not really like "web editing". It may be free but I think it will be well worth the investment to get Photoshop Elements or Photoshop CS. Express does not have as many features and is very confusing to work with.

Anonymous said...

By using the photo shop express i felt that it didn't work as well as I had hoped. I really didn't like it. It was too slow and there were not many elements to change on the picture.On the other hand, I really like piknik. It was really fun and it had lots of choices. I would definitly use Piknik in the future, but Photo shop Express was a total waste of time and boring. I would not reccomend Express.

Anonymous said...

For photoshop.com, I tried it and it was very confusing, but I eventually got it to work. I think regular photoshop is much better because it has mroe features, but photoshop.com still has some pretty good features. After I tried picnik, I was disappointed because it had almost no distorting features and only color and sharpening features. I would not recommend this to someone who wants something similar to photoshop.

Anonymous said...

Photoshop and picnik aren't as different as i thought. There are some similarities and differences. Like photeshop, in picnik you can change the color, crop- the picture, add effects or resize a picture. picnik and photoshop have different set ups and are used differently but they both get the job done.

Anonymous said...

I liked Picnik. I edited a snowboarder. I made him so the background was dark and he was outlined in white. But, Picnik can use more features that change the picture. They have a lot of stuff that can change the color but nothing great that makes it all wavey or a new design.

Anonymous said...

I loved Piknik. There were so many awesome tools I could used (and did use) and made my photos look completely different from when it started. There were also easy to use once I got the hang of it. I'm going to see if I can use this at home; it's just too cool!

^-^

Anonymous said...

I learned anamations

Anonymous said...

After I used two programs, I realize that they are similar with photoshop. I think picnik is so great website because it's free and I can put cut stickers on the picture!

Anonymous said...

Photshop express has more features, but was alot slower.

Allie said...

even though photoshop didnt work for me, i use picnik alot at home. i love the creativity you can put to make a picture so much more better than before. finaly when photoshop worked i relived it was a very cool working website. i will hope to continue using theise both websites again